History of NTMA
The National Tooling and Machining Association was organized in 1943 and incorporated under the state laws of Ohio.
From 1943 to 1964, the association maintained its principal office in Cleveland, before moving to leased offices in northwest Washington, D.C., which it occupied for some eight years. In 1971, the NTMA acquired land in Fort Washington, Md. and began construction on a new headquarters building, taking occupancy on June 24, 1972. A three-story addition to this building was completed in mid-1982.
Then, in 2008, a determination was made by the NTMA Board of Trustees to sell the Maryland headquarters and relocate back to the Cleveland area. This decision was based on the plan to form a jointly owned Association Management Company called MSI (Metalworking Services, Inc.) in Independence, Ohio, to perform the back office duties for multiple associations to better serve our members. NTMA’s strategic and member-centric operations will continue to be led by dedicated staff to ensure that members’ needs are met and that there is a clear and concise focus on supporting the precision manufacturing industry.
In 2010, NTMA brought on Dave Tilstone to serve as the President of the Association. Since he arrived, the Association has focused on member value, has dramatically improved the financial situation with a track record of budget surpluses in three (3) out of the last five (5) years. Dave has established a new management team focused on fulfilling strategic initiatives while creating a network of industry partners that include the premier technology leaders of the world. He has also introduced the Association to international business opportunities and works tirelessly on workforce development and advocacy for our industry.
In 2011, to better reflect the composition of its members—and to signal a renewed focus on helping members prosper while telling the story of American manufacturing dominance and growth—the NTMA went through a rebranding process.